Wednesday, November 10, 2010

LibraryThing


While there are some good things about LibraryThing, overall I wasn’t a fan.

I’ve had a goodreads account for a while now, and overall I prefer that site. There are a lot of useful features to LibraryThing though, and more in terms of finding similar users. However, I found it very hard to find the book I was looking for compared to goodreads, particularly because under one book on goodreads you can see all the other editions of the same book, unlike on librarything, as far as I can tell. It’s a bit time-consuming to find the exact book you’re looking for without the isbn, and while the ability to search so many different catalogs of information, like amazon and Library of Congress is nice, it’s also a bit of a hassle to work with.

One other thing that I didn’t see on LibraryThing that I use/abuse on goodreads is the ability to update what page of a book you’re currently reading. I like tracking how long it takes me to read a book, and sharing where I am with my friends on goodreads.
Regardless of what site you use though, I like that these kinds of sites exist. Similar to what I was saying regarding book review wikis, I love being able to read reviews before I read a book, and add my own review, as well as having a handy way of tracking what books I’ve read for my own personal reference, and how many I’ve read.

No comments:

Post a Comment