Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rollyo & Zotero


This was an interesting site, and one which I had never heard of before.

After playing around, I created one based around Agatha Christie, and connected it to several book sites, as well as Wikipedia and the official Christie site. It was interesting to search her books and characters, even obscure ones – although Wikipedia came up most often, and with that came a lot of other Wikipedia items with similar names, unfortunately.

I could see a librarian using it to create a search for students using only relevant, reputable sites to help with research, but it would be on a pretty small scale I’d think. A very interesting and useful website.


My first problem with zotero is that it isn’t compatible with Chrome – I downloaded Firefox just to complete this portion of 23 Things, which was not what I wanted to do, so immediately I was a bit biased against zotero.

I’m still not sure I completely understand Zotero’s point, or how to use it. I was a bit confused by the whole thing, and I think it involves too many complicated directions to be able to use effectively without spending time getting used to it.

From what I can tell, it would definitely be useful in the field, especially in helping researchers, but it would take a lot of patience. Perhaps I’m just not used to not understanding something about the internet immediately, but zotero frustrated me and made me want to give up before understanding it properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment