Tuesday, November 9, 2010

podcasts & audiobooks

While I have some experience with podcasts, I had never been to any of these sites before. The podcasts I have listened to I’ve found out about after they had already stopped being updated, ones from my favorite comedians that I found available for download in other places. I love the idea of a podcast, and I was surprised at the variety. From arts & crafts to music, and even major channels create podcasts from their content, such as BBC Radio 1, which I enjoy but often miss the best DJs because of the time difference. I definitely see the use of podcasts in the library & information field, from instructing library users to sharing what is going on within the library community.

I also have downloaded audiobooks in the past from several sources, as well as burning them from cds from the library. I walk & take public transport to work, and am easily motion sick, so audiobooks on my ipod are a great way to keep entertained, and read the books on my reading list.

One thing that the BECPL, as well as my hometown library system, Monroe County’s, I found out recently, does is to make audiobooks available to download online, which is extremely convenient, and the files delete themselves on the “due date”, so there are no late fees either! Very handy, not the best selection yet but it’s interesting to see how the libraries are moving with the technological times.

I had no idea librivox existed though, and am so glad for this new resource! Although perhaps there’s not the greatest selection in only public domain books, and the recordings I listened to were not as well produced or read as other audiobooks, considering the ease of downloading and that its free, this is a great resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment